Sunday, April 5, 2020

DOUBLE DOUBLE



Inspired by Amy at " A Quilting Sheep", I began making 4-patches with my 1 1/2 in squares, then matching those 2 1/2 inch 4-patches with  2 1/2 inch squares to make double 4-patches. I took it one step further and added 4 1/2 inch squares to make "double-double 4 patches".  


These are 8.5 inches (8 " finished). 

From there I decided how big I wanted this to be.....  64 x 72 it will be!
Ok so that meant I needed 288 of the small four patches,
....288 2.5" squares  and
....144 4.5 " squares.

Exactly what I wanted, an easy scrap project with no triangles and no specific background colour.




I did find it easier to attach row by row rather the constructing each 8.5 inch double-double 4patch separately.




I love to hand quilt and decided to use a clamshell design for the first time.  I made a template from a cereal box for this step.



While handquilting I did notice one little square had a tear in it :(  
Raw edge applique heart to the rescue!!





64" x 72"
Timeline: Jan-April 3, 2020
Handquilted (during the first 3 weeks of Covid Lockdown)


Links:




21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, as i mentioned in the post, i was inspired by you. Thanks again

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Love your hand-quilting on it. So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a spectacularly scrappy quilt finish!! I have wanted to make on of these for 15+ years and haven't gotten around to it yet. You win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful quilt! I love all this scrappy goodness, and the double double look is very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt - very inspiring. And I love your use of a cereal box for a template - just the kind of thing I do!thanks so much for showing us and describing your steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lynn, I really appreciate the comments.

      Delete
  6. What a great use of scraps, it has a wonderful old fashioned flair to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love this quilt! It's just full of scrappy goodness. Congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful finished quilt! So, you cut and sewed squares individually versus strip piecing the four patches? I've got a TON of strips left over from my pineapple log cabin; looking for a way to use them up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can strip piece, and i did a bit of that once i had used up my small scraps. This would be a great project for those leftover strips

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful scrappy quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! So pretty with just the right amount of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Double Double quilt. Fabulous scrap quilt design.

    ReplyDelete