Wednesday, May 6, 2020

WHAT'S BLACK, RED AND WHITE?


A stack of black and white fat quarters has been taunting me since last summer.  I had planned on pairing it with some pink, but after using the pink in another project recently .... well, I didn't want anything to do with pink for a while!


'

I was inspired by Gundrun's Elvira Quilt,  I didn't have the srtipology ruler they were using so I just decided to change it up a bit with some applique and embroidery.  It doesn't really look like all the Elvira quilts, but that was my starting point.





I'm curious to see how the embroidery will hold up in the wash.

Handquilted ....  during this Covid lockdown handquilting has definitely been a stress reliever.



Extra hexie flowers from another project ..... why not ?? 



The binding is some Tula Pink Fabric I found on sale at a store closing last summer.  I've been waiting for a project this might work with.  Love, Love LOVE  me some TULA fabric!

Backed with a super soft pink minky to maximize the coziness factor !!  Yes pink did sneak into this quilt after all :)

Yay, just enough "Je t'aime" material to piece  a bit in.




Timeline:  March - April 2020 (Covid-19 Lockdown)
Size: 42" x  54"  (40" x 52" after washing and drying)

5 comments:

  1. What a striking quilt. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It was nice to have a quick finish for a change.

      Delete
  2. When I saw those giant "bricks", I wondered if you might have been inspired by Elvira. LOVE how you made the pattern work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Yes a big Whoop from me! Love your use of inspiration and willingness to improvise to construct this piece. Joyful at every step.
    Also love how your squares turned out in the last post. You have an eye for matching fabrics and colours.

    ReplyDelete