Saturday, September 1, 2018

"MEMORIES"

(Log Cabin and Churn Dash)






This quilt started with the 9" log cabin squares


.

Then while surfing online I came across these fun scrappy churn dash blocks at Crazy Mom Quilts





Amanda Jeans tutorial was for an 8 1/2" block, but I made mine 9" so I could use them with my scrappy log cabins. I was getting a bit bored with the log cabin blocks...I figured I'd end up with a finished quilt much quicker if I combined the 2.

But, how to arrange them?



or:

ending up with this layout:



Backed with a "repurposed" duvet cover 


and bound with a tea green gingham.


..just ignore those stray threads, they'll be gone eventually!
I did the label a bit different, and applique shape to fit in the quilting motif which was basically a large orange peel motif.





54" x 54"

freemotion quilting

timeline: March - August 2018


Linking up with:

19 comments:

  1. I love how you arranged it - reminds me of fireworks for some reason! Where did you hang it - in the hall or bedroom? I adore my sister's quilts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the hall for now, who knows where it will be next time you're over :)

      Delete
  2. I love the quilt, hope you don't mind if I try to copy it, that is if I ever finish up all my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you "mashed up" two different blocks to make a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use two traditional blocks. I love how versatile log cabins are. And, I like the layout you chose to use better than the other option. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Bonnie, and for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Love the mix of log cabin and churn dash blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, once again you amaze me! This quilt is gorgeous! Love the combo and placement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a brilliant idea combining these 2 blocks. They look great together. Such an interesting effect. I love the feel of your color choices too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candace. With all that red in there I was worried about bleeding, but it washed up just fine with the help of a colour catcher or two!

      Delete
  8. I LOVE your log cabin and churn dash combo quilt! beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful combination of blocks! And I love your unique label! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete